Members of the SLS trial group have tried in excess of 50 jury trials and 75 bench trials?
Daniel A. Kapner
- Litigation & Trial Practice
- Construction Law
- Energy & Power
- Maryland (2016)
- District of Columbia (2010)
- New York (2010)
- J.D., The George Washington University Law School, 2009
- MSc, London School of Economics and Political Science, with honors, 2004
- B.A., University of Massachusetts, summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa, 2001
- ABA Construction Industry Forum
- American Bar Association
- Construction Users Roundtable (Friend of CURT)
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- The Rotary Club of Washington, DC
Dan is a member of the firm’s Trial Practice Group, working in the firm’s litigation and trial, construction law, and power and energy groups. Before joining Shapiro, Lifschitz & Schram, he was an associate with White & Case LLP in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office, where he advised commercial and sovereign clients in disputes relating to government contracts, construction, joint ventures, and insurance matters.
Dan also previously served as a special assistant attorney general in the Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia. During his tenure in the AG’s office, he defended the District of Columbia, municipal agencies, and public employees in actions involving employment, wrongful death, medical malpractice, insurance, defamation, and whistleblower claims. Dan regularly appeared in court, presented oral arguments, and took and defended depositions.
Dan is happiest when he is helping his clients solve complex matters. The desire to fix problems is a fundamental part of Dan’s personality and he takes pride in being considered a trusted advisor to his clients, colleagues, family, and friends. The practice of law allows Dan to fully engage, stretch his mind, and help make people’s lives better.
Dan focuses on developing strong client relationships. He believes strongly that it is his professional responsibility and ethical duty to fight zealously on behalf of each client. He constantly asks himself, “Am I doing all I possibly can to serve my clients’ needs?”
Always focused on ensuring the most favorable solution for his clients, Dan is an excellent advocate. Here are some examples:
View Solutions »
- Key team member in successful representation of a Southeast Asian country in a $500 million arbitration commenced by a European transport company relating to the engineering, procurement, and construction of an international airport terminal.
- Key team member in successful representation of Latin American country in a $91.1 million arbitration involving the construction and operation of power transmission lines.
- Key team member in successful representation of a Southeast Asian country in obtaining the dismissal of an application before the Singapore High Court to set-aside an award of the International Chamber of Commerce in favor of the Southeast Asian country.
- Key team member in successful defense of an intergovernmental organization in antitrust dispute before the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.
- Key team member in representation of thousands of foreign nationals in an arbitration brought against a Latin American country involving sovereign bonds.
- Key team member in representation of a Central Asian country in arbitrations involving over $1 billion in claims arising out of mining project disputes.
- Obtained defense verdict in a civil jury trial relating to the medical treatment of a former D.C. jail inmate.
- Obtained dismissal of a wrongful death and medical malpractice case.
- Obtained dismissal of a wrongful termination case brought by a former employee of a city council member.