As a member of the firm’s Real Estate and Business groups, Barbara Anne Spignardo ("B.A.") focuses primarily on real estate transactions and finance, as well as business and commercial transactions and lending. Passionate about her work in the real estate sector, she believes the core of real estate work is land and relationships—taking empty land and creating something useful for people, especially structures that encourage travel and exploration. As a “people person,” B.A. particularly enjoys building relationships and working closely with her clients to bring a vision to fruition.
B.A. has focused on real estate law since beginning her practice in 2002. She has represented lenders, borrowers, developers, sellers and institutional investors in sophisticated, high-dollar commercial real estate transactions including hotel, multifamily, assisted living, office and retail properties. Her work includes origination and servicing of construction and development loans, debt and equity financings, acquisitions, and dispositions.
In addition, B.A. has worked on the review and negotiation of commercial leases and the analysis and negotiation of management and franchise agreements. She also is experienced at conducting corporate governance work, including drafting and reviewing corporate resolutions and officer certificates.
Early in her academic endeavors, B.A. found that she was most interested in discovering all the facts, understanding various views in determining an outcome and working through to the best resolution. This, combined with her love of travel, led to her finding the perfect career in real estate law, where she started as an attorney with Locke Lord LLP in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office.
- George Mason University School of Law, J.D., 2002
- University of Richmond, B.A., 1999
- Shapiro, Lifschitz & Schram Attorney Named Among D.C.'s Top Women in Commercial Real Estsate
- "Tips to Help Women Optimize Their Potential in the Male-dominated Construction Industry," Construction Executive
- Must-Know Minute Party Wall Agreements
- Must-Know Minute Participations and Syndications
- Must-Know Minute Commercial Lending
- Carefully Tiptoeing into 2018: A Commercial Real Estate Outlook (NAIOP Market Share)
- Peace 2.0: Preserving the harmony between owners sharing a party wall.
- Barbara Anne ("B.A.") Spignardo serves as an adjunct professor for "Hospitality and Tourism Law" program
- Full steam ahead: Why transit hub development is seeing a resurgence
- Barbara Anne (B.A.) Spignardo Moderated Bisnow's Washington, D.C. State of the Office Event
- Celebrating 25 years of serving clients with experience, passion and solutions
- Protective Measures for Lenders Financing Deals Secured by Condominium Properties
- Real Estate Forum Magazine Discusses Urbanization with B.A. Spignardo
- SLS Sponsors Tenth Annual Women & Wine Event Supporting Georgetown Lombardi's Comprehensive Cancer Center
- SLS admitted as member of the Mortgage Bankers Association of Metropolitan Washington
- B.A. Spignardo publishes article on financing for hotel developments
- District of Columbia, 2003
- Virginia, 2002
- American Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW)
- Women’s Hospitality Network (WHN)
- Named a "Woman of Influence, Commercial Real Estate" by Bisnow (December, 2017)