Barry J. Fleishman is a Principal of SLS and focuses his practice on complex policyholder insurance coverage issues. Barry understands that taking steps to take full advantage of existing coverage and aggressively obtain recoveries from insurers when a loss occurs is vital for every policyholder. That is why he chose to practice at a boutique law firm where conflicts are extremely minimal and he can provide a more custom level of service to his clients.
Barry’s insurance coverage experience includes representation before federal and state courts, arbitral tribunals, and judicial and private mediators, focusing on corporate policyholder claims for insurance coverage arising out of liability and loss from property damage, bodily injury, personal injury, and alleged wrongful acts of directors and officers.
Barry has represented major corporations seeking insurance coverage with respect to liabilities and losses incurred as the result of catastrophic property damage, defective or misused products, environmental damage, alleged discrimination, and directors’ and officers’ activities in cases involving natural disasters, including major hurricane and cyclone-related losses, fires and explosions, mold and moisture, and alleged corporate wrongful acts.
With his unparalleled knowledge of complex insurance coverage issues, it is no wonder that Barry is passionate about protecting his clients’ assets and limiting their exposure in the face of minor, major and catastrophic loss. His dedication to upholding the rights of policyholders ensures that the businesses, organizations and corporations he represents can continue to maximize their bottom line by limiting liability and optimizing loss recovery.
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 1981
- New York University, B.A., Political Science and Journalism, 1976, magna cum laude
- "Don't Neglect Business Interruption Insurance in Construction Contracts," Construction Executive
- Must-Know Minute Insurance Claims Due to Severe Weather
- Barry Fleishman Addresses Hurricane Harvey Insurance Issues in Law360 Article
- Barry Fleishman named to 2017 Washington, D.C., Super Lawyers ‘Top 100' List
- Shapiro Lifschitz & Schram Expands Trial Group with Addition of Barry Fleishman
- Celebrating 25 years of serving clients with experience, passion and solutions
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2000
- District of Columbia, 1985
- Pennsylvania (inactive), 1981
“Recent Insurance Cases that Defend the Duty to Defend,” Law360, September 2015
“Cyber Liability Insurance Requirements,” National Association of State Procurement Officials, August 2015
“The Great Power of an Insurance Co., as Told by Calif.,” Law360, November 2013
“Expert Q&A on Insurance Coverage for Catastrophic Losses,” Practical Law, January 2013
“Maximizing Catastrophic Loss Insurance Recovery: Priority Action Items for Winning the Coverage Battle,” Practical Law Company, December 2012
“Insurance Coverage and Alternative Project Delivery,” 4th Annual Transportation Construction Law and Regulatory Forum, October 2012
- American Civil Liberties Union, Collaborator
- Anti-Defamation League - Washington, D.C. Regional and Executive Board, Member; National Commission, Member; Civil Rights Committee, Chair
- American Bar Association - Vice-Chair, Insurance Coverage Committee, Tort, Trialand Insurance Practice Section, 2009-2010; Member, Standing Committee on the Law Library of Congress, 2009-2010; Past Chair, Committee on Professionalism of the Tort and Insurance Practice Section, 1999-2000; Past Chair, Energy Law Committee of the Tort and Insurance Practice Section, Energy Law Committee, 1997 – 1998; Past Chair, Coordinating Group on Energy Law, 1998 – 1999
- American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel, Fellow