Christopher W. Mahoney (“Chris”) is Vice President of the firm and a member of the firm’s Trial Practice Group. For over 30 years, Chris has been a creative, ardent and committed client advocate who thrives on both the competitive nature of litigation and effective representation specifically tailored to the individual needs of each client. Chris knows that high stakes litigation is often unavoidable and crucial to advance or protect a client’s critical interests, and that’s what drives him in his practice.
Chris has handled complex civil litigation, including commercial disputes, construction litigation, government contracts, business torts, real estate and environmental matters. As a versatile trial lawyer with a dynamic litigation practice, his trial experience runs deep. He has served as both trial and appellate counsel for individuals, small businesses, multinational corporations, municipalities and administrative agencies, and has defended or sued on behalf of these clients before juries and judges in federal and state courts across the country, as well as before mediators and arbitrators. Chris’s experience includes representing government contractors, financial institutions, universities, medical equipment suppliers, chemical companies, information technology providers, foreign companies and non-profit entities.
A Martindale-Hubbell AV-rated attorney, Chris has also been recognized in Washingtonian Magazine as one of D.C.’s “top lawyers” and has been named a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America.
Chris not only thrives in the courtroom, but in the community as well. Active in civic and charitable matters, he is a long-time volunteer attorney for The Washington Legal Clinic for the Homeless, and has handled litigation matters for The Legal Counsel for the Elderly and The Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights. He serves as Treasurer for the Union College Alumni Club of D.C., and is a member of the American Friends of the London School of Economics and the Irish Network of D.C.
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1985
- Union College and London School of Economics, B.A., 1981, summa cum laude
- District of Columbia, 1985
- Maryland, 2008
- Maryland Court of Appeals, 2008
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals, 1985
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, 1996
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, 1990
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1996
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, 1997
- “Defending Against the Electronic Funds Transfer Act Suit: A Case Study,” Banking Law Journal, April 2013
- “Defeating Claims of Toxic Contamination: Anatomy of a Winning Defense,” Inside Litigation, Vol. 12, No. 7, July 1998
- “Water Contamination Suits Likely to Hit N.Y.: Vexing Issues Seen Arising in Claims over MTBE,” New York Law Journal, October 25, 1999, at S2; reprinted in Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, December 1999 at 6
- American Bar Association Section on Environment, Energy and Resources; Section on Litigation
- District of Columbia Bar Association, Section on Litigation
- AV-Rated Attorney, Martindale-Hubbell
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Recognized in Washingtonian Magazine as one of Washington, D.C.'s "top lawyers"
- Recipient of Multi-year Commendation Award by the Washington Legal Clinic for the Homeless