Effective representation of construction industry clients requires not only a thorough understanding of the law, but also a comprehensive knowledge of the technical process within the construction industry. We happen to know both very well!
We’re a unique breed and guarantee that you probably won't come across any group of lawyers that gets as excited about construction law as we do. While that might not be the worst thing, our clients will tell you that our passion for construction law is what truly elevates our service and triggers our desire to go the extra mile. We get up early and we stay up late searching for that extra edge, the one that our competitors may overlook, to secure a win for our clients.
Our full-service construction practice allows us to assist clients in avoiding disputes by meticulously drafting contract documents and quickly evaluating and resolving controversies before they escalate into litigation or other formal dispute resolution proceedings. Our construction clients appreciate our inclination to poke, prod and probe until we find the best solution for them. But when our advocacy skills are required, let's just say that we aren't shy about pursuing our clients' objectives.
We represent public and private owners, developers, general contractors, construction managers, subcontractors and suppliers, sureties, design professionals in public and private projects of virtually every type. Our practice covers all aspects of construction law, including:
- Contract drafting and negotiation, claim preparation, and dispute resolution through use of mediation, arbitration, litigation and trials
- Preparation and negotiation of complex design and construction agreements, including EPC, design-build, "fast-track" GMP contracts, fixed price, cost plus, build-to-suit, and private venture contracts and subcontracts
- EPC contract matters in the power and energy industries
- Reviewing, drafting and negotiating architect, construction, construction management, design-build, government and international contracts and subcontracts
- Assisting in establishing contract administration procedures
- Prosecuting and defending all types of mechanics' lien claims, payment and performance bond claims and collection claims
- Preparing, analyzing, defending, and prosecuting virtually every type of construction claim, including differing site conditions, acceleration, changes, defective plans and specifications, construction and/or design defects, delay, disruption, labor inefficiency, suspension, and termination
- We practice law because it's what we love to do. Like an athlete who is “in the zone,” we lock in on the challenge and consume ourselves with overcoming it. At the end of the day, the trial itself is what differentiates our team from others—we are trial lawyers, not just litigators—and we relish the challenge. We also commit to enjoy the journey so the finish line feels even more rewarding. . .for our clients and for us.
- In the Wake of Hurricane Katrina
- Taking on One of the World's Largest Power Plant Construction Contractors
- Success for Historic Hotel Against 25 Mechanics' Liens
- Settlement on the Courthouse Steps for State of New Jersey
- Mediation Yields Favorable Settlement
- A Win for Industrial Installation and Construction Contractor
- Claims of Defective Design and Construction at Stake
- General Contractor Vindicated After Structural Steel Supplier Found Liable
- Withdrawal of Default Termination and Complete Settlement Yields Client $11 Million
- Damages Awarded, All Claims Denied
- All Litigation & Arbitration Against Bechtel Corporation
- Shapiro Lifschitz & Schram wins favorable settlement for client Foulger-Pratt in Silver Spring Transit Center litigation
- Shapiro, Lifschitz & Schram Named Among Best Law Firms in America
- Judah Lifschitz and Laura Fraher share insights into their Silver Spring Transit Center lawsuit victory in Construction Executive Risk Management article
- Celebrating 25 years of serving clients with experience, passion and solutions
- Five Shapiro, Lifschitz & Schram attorneys selected for the 2016 Super Lawyers lists
- Load more...
- Judah Lifschitz authors chapter in the ABA's Construction ADR book
- District of Columbia Construction Law
- Ownership and Reuse of Design Professionals' Designs
- Contractor Licensing Laws
- What Next? Key Steps Following a Structural Collapse or Other Crisis Caused by Defective Work
- "Tips to Help Women Optimize Their Potential in the Male-dominated Construction Industry," Construction Executive
- Judah Lifschitz was quoted in an article published by ENR regarding the Florida bridge collapse.
- "The Fallout From a Catastrophic Jobsite Incident," Construction Dive
- Judah Lifschitz discusses favorable settlement in Silver Spring Transit Center Litigation (Construction Commentary & Review)
- Load more...